Statement of Faith As a Sanctuary ( Church) of the Rastafarian Order, Sanctuary openly espouses a unifying philosophical framework to which all faculty and staff are committed without reservation. The Sanctuary identifies with and is committed to historic orthodox Christianity as expressed by Rastafari
Official Statement of Faith:
1. God’s gospel originates in and expresses the wondrous perfections of the eternal, triune God. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
2. God’s gospel is authoritatively revealed in the Scriptures. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavour should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
3. God’s gospel alone addresses our deepest need. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
4. God’s gospel is made known supremely in the Person of Jesus. We believe that Jesus is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus—Israel's promised Messiah—was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
5. God’s gospel is accomplished through the work of Jesus. We believe that Jesus, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
6. God’s gospel is applied by the power of the Holy Spirit. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that it does, glorifies Jah/God. It convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in It we are baptized as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Jesus-like living and service.
7. God’s gospel is now embodied in the new community called the church. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God's grace through faith alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Jesus, of which He is the Head. The 2 Adopted by the SOTRO Board of Elders – Nov. 6, 2015 true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed of believers. Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
8. God’s gospel compels us to Jesus-like living and witness to the world. We believe that God's justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Jah’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to God’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
9. God's gospel will be brought to fulfillment by the Lord Himself at the end of this age. We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord God with His holy angels when He will bring His kingdom to fulfillment and exercise His role as Judge of all. This coming of God, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
10 God's gospel requires a response that has eternal consequences. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving God’s truth. We believe that God will raise and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in heaven, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.